WAITRO Women Economic Empowerment Workshop
The WAITRO Capacity Development “Shea Butter Development for Women Economic in Africa” was held from October 22 to 26, 2018. WAITRO and the Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC) organized the five-day workshop, which took place in Abuja, Nigeria.
The production of Shea Butter is an important economic source in Sub-Saharan Africa, however, women in the rural areas lack knowledge on marketing and commercialization, which could considerably improve their quality of life. This motivated the creation of a five-day workshop focused on empowering Nigerian women economically.
Setting the market rather than chasing it
The participants had the opportunity to learn different techniques to improve not only the quality of Shea butter in a sustainable way but also essential strategies to set the market. Some outcomes of this WAITRO Capacity Development were:
- Shea nut butter products can be produced along the supply chain;
- Good manufacturing and hygiene practices can be implemented to reduce waste and increase productivity;
- Guaranteed safe food product manufacturing;
- Shea nut butter producers can prioritize and control potential hazards in the production;
- Producers can have accredited la