Working towards SDG 2: Innovative project ideas on SAIRA
WAITRO is confident that science, technology and innovation are key to achieve the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Aware of how urgent it is to change our global food and agriculture systems if we want to reduce the alarming numbers of hunger worldwide, WAITRO decided to focus this years’ WAITRO Innovation Award on the SDG 2 – Zero Hunger. Very promising project ideas are already uploaded in WAITRO’s Open Innovation Platform SAIRA.
Innovative project ideas are available on SAIRA. These opportunities aim to produce genuine solutions for new sources of marine and terrestrial non-conventional food and new forms of agriculture. Keeping in mind that food security and sustainable agriculture are the main goals, some of them propose:
- Identifying and creating crops resilient to future climatic conditions
- Building awareness and capacities of local communities to adapt to climate stresses
- Synthesizing silver and zinc nanoparticles for hydroponic agriculture
- Using Tithonia’s compost for soybean production
- Producing bio-safe nanoparticles to improve quality and productivity
- Enriching food with proteins and those limiting minerals & vitamins diets in specific vulnerable areas
These and more project ideas have the chance to participate on the WAITRO Innovation Award: Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture once they find a partner on SAIRA. The two teams with the most innovative project proposals will be awarded 25,000 USD seed funding to kick-start their projects as well as the opportunity to participate of a pitch training, workshops and networking events with WAITRO partners.
All WAITRO members are welcome and encouraged to look for partners on SAIRA, or to upload their own project ideas.
There is a great chance of starting a collaboration that will bring the projects to the next level!
Deadline for the WAITRO Innovation Award 2021: September 30th.