WAITRO Webinar on Bio-Circular-Green (BCG) in Action
On August 24th, the WAITRO member and Regional Focal Point (RFP) for Asia and the Pacific, Thailand Institute of Scientific and Technological Research (TISTR), hosted the WAITRO Webinar on Bio-Circular-Green (BCG) in Action. The event aimed to increase awareness of the BCG new economic model for inclusive and sustainable growth.
BCG is the new economic model approved as Thailand’s national agenda in early 2021 with the goal of empowering local economies, increasing GDP growth, while being eco-friendly. The model aligns with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Sufficiency Economy Philosophy (SEP) and European Green Deal. BCG is being driven to regional level in ASEAN and Asia Pacific.
The webinar was keynoted by Ms. Sirinya Lim, Division Director, Office of National Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation Policy Council (NXPO) of Thailand. She was also part of BCG White Paper development, which is a blueprint paper that stated the concept idea to facilitate science, technology, and innovation in contribution to the advancement of the BCG Economy of Thailand. Her intervention included how BCG can be aligned to global trends, examples of cooperation and success cases as well as opportunities for global partnership funds.
The event also gathered researchers of WAITRO member organizations who shared their project ideas on BCG:
- Dr. Rewadee Anuwattana, from TISTR, talked about municipal waste management in connection to BCG.
- Dr. Anil Sinha (CSIR-IIP India) introduced his project idea on combining heterogeneous and enzymatic catalysis to produce cellulosic ethanol.
- Dr. Anchana Pattanasupong, from TISTR, introduced the Biodegradable Testing Center they have been working on.
- SIRIM Berhad of Malaysia shared their experience with the project “World’s First Full-scale Sago Mill Effluent Biogas Plant”, located in Sarawak.
- Dr. Manish Kumar, from CSIR India, presented the project idea of Biochar Production from selected waste such as banana.
- TISTR hold a video presentation on the operation of the environmental research station, by Dr. Surachit Weangsothorn. The Malai Wittaya Sathan Model (local economy for flowers and ornamental community) was introduced by Dr. Piriyaphattarakit.
- Laia Piñol, from LEITAT, talked about International Bio-Circular-Green projects and opportunities. Next, Sergio Ibañez focused on their project idea for the WAITRO Innovation Award 2021: SmartInFood: insect-based food resources to supplement nutrient deficiencies in vulnerable areas.
Dominik Reinertz, head of WAITRO Office Germany, provided insights about the WAITRO Global Innovation Summit 2022, upcoming Capacity Development workshops, the WAITRO Innovation Award 2021, and the new version of the WAITRO’s Open Innovation Platform SAIRA.
The moderator, Ms. Manunya, closed the event with a video showing the experience of researchers, who have joined WAITRO and used SAIRA. The webinar had great success with 49 participants. It was tailored for WAITRO members and organized by WAITRO, Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation (MHESI) of Thailand, TISTR, and co-organized by Informa Markets.
If you missed the event, watch it here.