RTOs (Research Technology Organizations) perform a facilitating role in the collaborative efforts of SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) towards innovation. Since RTOs play a key role as technology transfer agents as well as R&D collaborative leaders for Firms, it is essential to develop strategies and strengthen relationships. That being the case, WAITRO cooperated with the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO), the Indonesian Polymer Association and the Indonesia Institute of Sciences (LIPI) to conduct a workshop on RTO Management.
This Capacity Development Program took place in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia, from May 15-19, 2017. The workshop was tailored for WAITRO and ISESCO member countries. It aimed to benefit and strengthen the network and collaboration among the WAITRO members.
The workshop applied three main concepts:
- knowledge sharing on best practices of managing Research Technology Organizations;
- establishing group networking among participants and the host country;
- and exchanging ideas on the development of technological innovation among participants from WAITRO members.
The outcomes of the workshop are as follows:
- knowledge transfer among WAITRO members;
- potential collaboration between LIPI and WAITRO members;
- best practices of managing RTOs; and
- stimulating advance technological innovation
The five-day workshop was attended by 19 participants from WAITRO members and ISESCO country members. Among them were: Bangladesh Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, China Institute for Small and Medium Enterprises, Qinghai Nationalities University (China), Shriram Institute for Industrial Research (India), University Malaysia Terengganu, Royal Scientific Society (Jordan), National Food Institute (Thailand) and TUBITAK Marmara Research Center (Turkey).