Participation of women is crucial to sustainable development and economic growth. Only with access to employment, education and public services, women can play a fundamental role in the development process of a country. In this perspective, the WAITRO-ICESCO partnership developed the Women Economic Empowerment Project (WEP) with the aim of enabling women to play a more active role in their communities by equipping them with skills and knowledge, encouraging them to create and participate in new economic opportunities for themselves and thereby supporting them to enhance their living conditions.
Improvement of the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Egyptian Women in Rural Economic Development was a project developed and funded by WAITRO and the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ICESCO).
The project was realized from April to September 2015 in two rural communities in Upper and Lower Egypt. Through conducted surveys, female farmers and unemployed women were selected as suitable beneficiaries. With local resources and capabilities in mind, technologies were provided, such as:
- New technology for breeding rabbits, egg laying chicken, and quail (feed components and advanced batteries equipment)
- New technology for breeding high promising sheep types
- Technology for dry cheese production for more sustainability (cheese production technology, Milking Machine, ARC Rennet material)
- Technology for mushroom production (ARC mushroom breeding seeds & mushroom seed equipment)
- Technology to produce compost from agricultural waste by economic ARC technology
- Technology for silage production for feeding from agricultural waste